- 1 turkey (12-15 pounds), cleaned thoroughly and patted dry.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil.
- 3 tbsp Dizzy Gourmet Whirly Bird Seasoning.
- 1 whole onion, cut in half.
- 1 stalk celery.
- 2 cups chicken broth, wine or water.
- A mixture of aromatics, such as sage sprigs, onion wedges, and halved garlic heads, for filling the cavity.
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking with a convEGGtor at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pecan Smoking Chips can be added to the charcoal for a mild smoke flavor and to add a burnished golden brown appearance to the turkey.
- Combine the oil and Whirly Bird Seasoning in a small bowl. Rub or brush mixture all over the turkey. Stuff the turkey cavity with the mixture of aromatics.
- If you are using a Vertical Turkey Roaster, load the seasoned bird onto the roaster and place into a drip pan.
- If you are using a roasting pan you can lay the bird horizontally on a V-Rack to slightly elevate the turkey off the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Add the onion and the celery to the drip pan, then fill the drip pan with the chicken broth, wine or water.
- Cook the turkey for 15 to 20 minutes per pound until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thighs is above 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from heat, and let rest 20 minutes before carving. Reserve the pan drippings to make gravy.
Big Green Egg Perfect Turkey Recipe